Friday, January 2, 2009

Inaugural Posting of our Brewpub Endeavor

Friday, January 2, 2009:

My Great-Great Grandfather owned a pub in Milwaukee many years ago. People say he was on a first name basis with Al Capone but I cannot verify that. All I can tell you for sure is that he had a set of eyes that could pierce you to your essence, some people called them "Dead Eyes". I saw a picture of him in a white apron standing in front of his pub and yes, indeed, he had those eyes, and they cold cocked me many years after his death.
Some people have that look, you know, the look of total confidence and power. I don't have that look, I have more of a smarmy, "oh, I guess dis is where we go" look. I saw his glare at the camera lens and I knew while alive this man meant business and he would tell you for sure. Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying I'm a pansy boy, ready to call for my Mommy when I didn't get my time on the swingset. I was blessed to be ignorant enough in my shielded middle class world that I wanted to go out there like Daddy did and earn those hard knocks that made a man walk and talk like the Duke (Angels singing...). Yeah, I've been to the other side of the latrine and let me tell you, the smell is actually the same.
This is the year I turn forty. I want my family to look back on my picture and although I don't want them to think I have dead eyes, I want them to think I've done something with this American life, this life that has been blessed by all good things and some not so dandy. I want to do something worthwhile instead of mowing the lawn every week and laughing at a mass email joke.
The thing that needs to be done is to open a brewpub, plain and simple. Along with my fellow partners in brewing, Mike and Bruce, we have set a course to open a brewpub somewhere within the Greater Tampa Bay area sometime in 2009. We will attain this goal!
Mike and Bruce couldn't be better suited to be my brewing pals. Mike is one of the smartest guys I've ever met, business savvy and confident. Bruce is the ultimate beer aficionado and knows more about computers than the dude who invented pacman. They bring a wealth of knowledge to the table that simply must be put to the test. We will spend many a day and night brooding over this process and thus, the reason for this blog.
I am currently in the process of upgrading my homebrew system in order to perfect my beer menu for the brewpub. I will be following with further posts regarding beer styles and I will also be asking the blogosphere for opinions and guidance throughout this deal. This input will be critical in the formation of our brewpub and we welcome all beer drinkers who want a fresh brewed, local beer in our area.
I have already finished a prelimary list of beer varieties for the pub. One of those beers will be a fine Rye Lager (RoggenLager), an excellent choice to honor a man from the Midwest who knew how to pour a real beer and lived among the fields of rye. It will be called Deadeye Rye Lager.

No comments:

Post a Comment